Biblionef is an international foundation and its main vision is to give children the joy of reading; children who don’t have any access to picture and reading books. Too many children have to learn to read by means of a blackboard and a piece of chalk and if they are lucky an old newspaper. Biblionef provides new, useful and exciting children’s books to organizations that teach and care for children. Biblionef is establishing book reading and library projects for schools and organizations working with deprived children throughout the world, in both English and local languages. By making books available in their native language, books which link up with their own world of experience, Biblionef tries to widen the horizon of these children and to offer them better prospects for the future.
Biblionef is an international network of 6 independently operating organizations with the same name and vision. There are Biblionef organizations in France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Surinam, Ghana and South Africa. Biblionef Nederland works closely together with Biblionef South Africa and Ghana. Biblionef Nederland expands the activities by setting up local (self-supporting) branches of Biblionef. To operate locally, we try to stimulate the local publishing industry.
Biblionef in the Netherlands
The activities of Biblionef Nederland are focused on:
• Supplying Surinam, Aruba, Curaçao and Bonaire with new Dutch children’s books. In Paramaribo Biblionef has a storage place for books. Curaçao, Aruba and Bonaire have a representative.
• Financially supporting library, literature and reading projects in South Africa, Ghana and (if possible) other countries to help organizations to set up a library, to ensure that children’s stories (also the native stories) are written or translated and published in local languages and to prove books in Braille and large print books for the visually impaired and blind children.
• Being able to satisfy the growing requests for English children’s books from countries with a development economy in Asia and Africa: mostly small scale reading projects. Biblionef co- operates with many other organizations which start projects for schools, orphanages, street- children and other child care institutions in these countries.
Applying for books yourself
It is possible to apply for books at Biblionef. Either if you are working for a school or library in Africa or Asia or if you have contacts with an organisation oversea you can apply for books. Please contact us for more information and to get the application form.
Do you want to support Biblionef?
Biblionef is a foundation which is largely funded by individual donors and private institutions. Do you want to help us? This is possible in the following ways:
• To donate with payment by standing order. You can also donate with tax benefits, or include a donation in your will.
• To take action. For example, by volunteering with us, or to start a relevant program with your club or association.
• To support Biblionef through your company or school. For example, by supporting a specific project with your company/school, or to assist with the transportation of children’s books.
2509 LK The Hague
Prins Willem Alexanderhof 5
2595 BE The Hague
Tel.: +31 (0) 70 3140565
Fax: +31 (0) 70 3140571
E-mail address: email@example.com
Biblionef is situated in the Koninklijke Bibliotheek (Royal Library) in The Hague, next to the Hague Central Station.
Click here for an itinerary.
Click on our partner organization and you will be directed to their website.
Biblionef has ‘The CBF-certificate’. This is a hallmark of the CBF (Central Fund-raising Agency) for the smaller fund-raising institutions. Every year the organization is tested to see if it complies with the CBF criteria for responsible fund-raising and spending. You may consider an institution with a CBF-certificate to be worthy of support.